Museum Rotterdam was founded in 1905 as Museum of Antiquities, by a bourgeois elite that wanted to educate Rotterdam’s growing working class population, attracted by the development of the transit port.
It later became the Historical Museum of Rotterdam that glorified Rotterdam´s Golden Age in a time that the modern city centre lacked its previous historical references due to its destruction in the bombardment of 1940.
In recent years the museum has changed its aims and ambitions again.The contemporary transnational city, and not the past city, has become central to the policies of the Museum. In 2010 it dropped the ´Historical´ in its name to continue as Museum Rotterdam.
February 2016 the museum opened on a new main location in the historical heart of Rotterdam, adjacent to City Hall. Here the story of Rotterdam, the city with a young heart and an old soul, is told in new ways.
- Location: Het Timmerhuis, Rotterdam
- Open: 2016
- Exhibition design: Pronk, Danielle van der Waard, Ron Breugelmans
- Décor construction, engineering and Project Management: Heijmerink Wagemakers
- Lighting design and installation: Rapenburg Plaza
- Photography: Pim van Strien, Mike Bink, Caren Huygelen
Commissioned by Heijmerink Wagemakers we were responsible for creating the lighting design and its implementation.