- Location: Maritime Museum, Amsterdam
- Open: 1 April 2014
- Exhibition design: Ateier Brückner GmbH
- Décor construction: Bruns BV
- Lighting design, lighting and media control, AV technology and installation: Rapenburg Plaza
- AV content: MCW / creative agency
The exhibition entitled The Atlases includes the top pieces from The National Maritime Museum’s extensive collection of maps and atlases. Get acquainted with the four pioneers of cartography: Ptolemy, Mercator, Claesz, and Blaeu. These mapmakers and publishers produced maps and atlases that forever changed how we see the world. Your journey shows you the first maps of America, via the ‘Unknown land of the South,’ to a detailed city map of Amsterdam. The maps and atlases, produced between 1482 and 1665, are unique historical documents, and a feast for the eye with their rich decorations.